Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI Target Priorty

AI Target Priorty

When player units encounter a cluster of enemy units (such as in the single player base attack missions), air units with air to ground capabilities prioritize targeting of ground units (which cannot fire back) such as machine gunners and strykers over enemy air units which are directly attacking them (such as cobras and hinds).

This non-sensical design decision purposefully contributes to increased player repair time.

Why?

Banned
    Good question, I wonder why it has never been mentioned before. What's just as bad if not worse is when a stinger is standing beside a building of tank and firing on your choppers and you can't target the stinger because you end up targeting the building or tank instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ValJean View Post
    What's just as bad if not worse is when a stinger is standing beside a building of tank and firing on your choppers and you can't target the stinger because you end up targeting the building or tank instead.
    That's exactly what prompted my question. Regardless of the design decision, there's nothing a player can do about it because it's impossible to mouse-select a unit out of the crowd to re-direct its fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ValJean View Post
    a stinger is standing beside a building of tank and firing on your choppers and you can't target the stinger because you end up targeting the building or tank instead.
    Press the "S" button and most of the time, infantry will get fired at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
    Press the "S" button and most of the time, infantry will get fired at first.
    Bastion, I *know* you can read better than this ...

A. Pressing "S" doesn't do any good if the unit isn't selected.
    B. Prioritizing Infantry over other more lethal units is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by GHØST View Post
    Bastion, I *know* you can read better than this ...

A. Pressing "S" doesn't do any good if the unit isn't selected.
    B. Prioritizing Infantry over other more lethal units is the issue.
    Pressing "S" will target infantry first (if you use aircraft, at least), in the case ValJean described, which was what I replied to.

Issue B, I agree with. Although it's probably not so easy to change that in the coding.

Pressing "S" will target infantry first (if you use aircraft, at least), in the case ValJean described, which was what I replied to.
    Are implying the A, S, & R hotkeys work without first selecting a unit? Because part of the issue revolves around not being able to mouse-click units out of a cluster. If one could feasibly select the unit, the poor AI targeting can be manually overridden.

Banned

Issue B, I agree with. Although it's probably not so easy to change that in the coding.
    Pressing "S" is pointless if the unit firing at you out ranges your choppers which is what happens with Estingers and you can't always lure them out into the open to kill them.

years ago I developed the habit of assigning group numbers to my units as I deploy them.... and almost always the same numbers to each different type... for example.. air - I always assign #1 ... infantry, such as stingers ... #2 ... #3 is rapid fire armor such as brads or TOS ... #4 is for things like Msta or Pal... #5 .. egaz ... #6 - tanks like T90 ... #7 I use for a single unit I'm using to draw things back to my main force to kill - such as a kiowa to pull stingers back to a TOS or enemy air back to my stingers... by assigning the same numbers each time I am able to quickly and without much thought select the force I need to action..... like pulling stingers back when they're covered by my own air ... etc... I cannot tell you how much this has helped my combat skills .... and in case you don't know.. you use the "ctrl" key and press a number on your top row of your keyboard. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by john_k_butler View Post
    years ago I developed the habit of assigning group numbers to my units as I deploy them.... and almost always the same numbers to each different type... for example.. air - I always assign #1 ... infantry, such as stingers ... #2 ... #3 is rapid fire armor such as brads or TOS ... #4 is for things like Msta or Pal... #5 .. egaz ... #6 - tanks like T90 ... #7 I use for a single unit I'm using to draw things back to my main force to kill - such as a kiowa to pull stingers back to a TOS or enemy air back to my stingers... by assigning the same numbers each time I am able to quickly and without much thought select the force I need to action..... like pulling stingers back when they're covered by my own air ... etc... I cannot tell you how much this has helped my combat skills .... and in case you don't know.. you use the "ctrl" key and press a number on your top row of your keyboard. Hope this helps.
    Guys ... none of this has anything to do with the topic. Please read the OP. It's about AI targeting of units clustered up due to base attacks. Not leisurely deploying units into an attack mission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast