Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AI Target Priorty

Quote Originally Posted by GHØST View Post
    Are implying the A, S, & R hotkeys work without first selecting a unit? Because part of the issue revolves around not being able to mouse-click units out of a cluster. If one could feasibly select the unit, the poor AI targeting can be manually overridden.
    Of course your unit has to be selected first. Right-click and drag to select if you've got a hard time to click one unit amongst buildings, enemy and gunfire that obscure vision.

Quote Originally Posted by ValJean View Post
    Pressing "S" is pointless if the unit firing at you out ranges your choppers which is what happens with Estingers and you can't always lure them out into the open to kill them.
    Well, then you best stay away from those eStingers.

Quote Originally Posted by GHØST View Post
    Guys ... none of this has anything to do with the topic. Please read the OP. It's about AI targeting of units clustered up due to base attacks. Not leisurely deploying units into an attack mission.
    Draw me a picture, please. The only times I've experienced targeting issues is with the transmitter being in the way, or an enemy unit being awkwardly positioned "behind" a 3D structure, so it was hard to click on directly.

Just to clarify - the targeting priority mainly looks at what unit the attacker is most effective against. When more than one target is in range, it'll prefer ones that are more vulnerable on the "Fair/Good/Excellent Damage vs." scale. The priority ranking does not consider how effective the target's weapon is against the attacker (though perhaps it should).

On top of this, there is a special exception where units will pick a different target for self-defense, which happens only under the following conditions: Unit control is "Auto", Move Priority is "Low", the unit is moving, and the unit takes fire from an enemy within weapon range.

I believe that's the limit of the "intelligence" built into the unit AI; everything else is up to the skill of the player - which means pressing "A" and then clicking a target, which will over-ride the AI and always force selection of a specific target. I do understand there's an issue with small units and overlapping buildings that can make it difficult to select the right one with the mouse - hoping we can do something about that in the future.
    Last edited by bh-dan; 08-08-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bh-dan View Post
    Just to clarify - the targeting priority mainly looks at what unit the attacker is most effective against. When more than one target is in range, it'll prefer ones that are more vulnerable on the "Fair/Good/Excellent Damage vs." scale.
    This would explain the behavior I've noticed with Kiowas priortizing Mortarmen and Machine Gunners over air units.

I appreciate there's a lot of nuance and no amount of clever coding will ever be as good as manual control.

Quote Originally Posted by bh-dan View Post
    The priority ranking does not consider how effective the target's weapon is against the attacker (though perhaps it should).
    However, I would contend that, at a minimum, the top level check should be for a null threat. Mortarmen, Machine Gunners, and most armor (excepting eGaz) will never ever be a threat to air units even with a sooper-dooper modifier.
    Last edited by GHØST; 08-08-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Good point. It makes sense that "threat" over "no threat" should take precedence over "greater damage vs." in the targeting priority. Will suggest to the team.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12