Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Game Improvement and Suggestions

I would just like to pop in for a moment and say that with some of the ranting aside, GHØST is simply amazing for compiling that insanely well written list. We here at Battlehouse love lists.

I spent about an hour last week going through this list and taking some notes. What I can tell you guys is that many of the things on the list are already on our to-do list (some are on my own personal to-do list behind other things), some suggestions are being added to said to-do lists, some of the suggestions aren't possible within the game's current build due to technical limitations, and some suggestions are merely opinions that disagree with what 5 years of game data has told us.

What I can also tell you is that if we were to hypothetically get to work on tackling everything on this list one at a time in order, it would probably take us an entire quarter of working on nothing but the things on this list to get it all done. That being said, this question is for the entire Community, especially including GHØST himself:

If you could pick any 2 suggestions from GHØST's list to prioritize above everything else right now, what would they be and why?

If you could pick any 2 suggestions from GHØST's list to prioritize above everything else right now, what would they be and why?[/QUOTE]

75% off gold for everybody ,,not a few ,,,,and stop lying to paying costumers,,,,sam

Quote Originally Posted by Shu.275 View Post
    75% off gold for everybody ,,not a few ,,,,and stop lying to paying costumers,,,,sam
    The "few" you mention are likely to be ones that have never purchased gold, or have spent very little, before.

I believe the 75% off offer has been changed to a one time purchase per player at one point or another.

But what do I know.

How about separating the players who buy gold from the one who don't ... just to make the game more fair ... I hear alot of players talking about quitting due to this disadvantage

Quote Originally Posted by John.508 View Post
    How about separating the players who buy gold from the one who don't ... just to make the game more fair ... I hear alot of players talking about quitting due to this disadvantage
    Damn those privileged players.

#1) I agree that the 2 ladys and their info bubble, if not eliminated, should at least be minimizable (if that's even a word lol)they take up way too much screen space, and #2) but not on his list, do developers even play the game? How can they not notice how hard it is to read dark red txt on dark colored background? not sure even a 4k monitor would help these old eyes, but pls??

#1 the cool downs taking buff slots #2 inventory all like items be stackable greater then 5, 50 would be great only other idea would be make the vault usefull instead of set ammounts use set % to be saved i.e. 1% per lvl is an idea

I'll write this as gently as possible. I've been contemplating my response for over a week. More importantly, I've been trying to decide whether it was worth the effort to respond at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowy View Post
    ... #2) but not on his list, do developers even play the game? ...
    I guarantee there isn't a single developer who plays this game as a player does. I guarantee there isn't a single developer who spends $50 per month ($600 / year) of their own personal funds on this game.

If anyone with the *powers that be* was spending 20 or 30 or 40 hours a week in-game they would shoot themselves in the head trying to compensate for the numerous deficiencies which have been left unattended for 5 years.

• Having money stolen due to helter-skelter unit control when dropping into laggy landing zones swarmed with enemy units is B.S.
    • 4,300 clicks to get through the list of bookmarks is B.S.
    • The illegible multi-player map is B.S.

To top it all off, whatever one tries, don't try to play in a different browser than the browser one is accustomed to. Different browsers have completely different sets of disorganized colors. The disorientation and discrepancies in the multi-player map are utterly beyond comprehension. Font-color is literally one of the few properties which is cross-browser compatible.

Menu navigation and management of base layouts is a game within the game. It's frustrating and annoying to go through this shit for hours on end, every day of every week of every year for years and years and years. It's not fun. It's not relaxing. Nothing about the actual interaction with the game makes the game enticing to play.

The fact that most Devs don't play the game is not (necessarily) intended as a criticism. Its common knowledge in the gaming industry Devs don't grind out the 2 to 3 hours per day PLUS the 10 to 20 hours of weekend playtime it takes to compete in the end game. I understand. The game is their job. I don't want to *work* in my free time. I don't want to *work* on the weekends. However, Devs and management are fooling themselves if they think they're in touch with key aspects of gameplay.

Fixing abandoned features (unit equipment), bugs (Jesus Stingers), and the UI (almost everything) isn't sexy. It is not exciting to put out patch notes stating, "We fixed something which was designed poorly to start with." It's difficult to track metrics on fixing stuff as opposed to implementing some new feature or a holiday gold package and watching sales spike over the weekend.

The flaw with this logic is more junk gets piled on top of the old, making everything more complicated to fix. Which ultimately results in the current state of leaving the established junk in place since it's inherently ingrained into the core platform.

• It would have been much easier to fix the Leaders Window three years ago when there were only 2 tiers. Now we're up to 4 tiers.
    • It would have been much easier to fix the Units Window three years ago when there were no special effect hardware upgrades. Now we have HP, DPS, blast-shield, and mine-shield upgrades.

All of which are jammed into some tiny space with funky-ass buttons instead of tabbed layouts and the god-awful clickety-click-click horizontal scrolling arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by bh-cameron View Post
    What I can also tell you is that if we were to hypothetically get to work on tackling everything on this list one at a time in order, it would probably take us an entire quarter of working on nothing but the things on this list to get it all done.
    So what? Let's consider recent features and their implementation over the most recent years:

1. TOC Leaders Feature: Fantastic idea!
    2. TOC Leaders Implementation: Terrible. Disregarding the stupid cooldown, the fact the cooldown *still* blocks 1 of the 4 limited buff slots is sloppy. The random upgrade path is the most punishing mechanic I've encountered in any game in 30 years. It should not be possible to get the same variety of leader three or four or five or six times in a row. Using the production Leaders as an example, at worst there should be 1/3 chance on the 1st leader, 1/2 chance on the 2nd Leader, 1/1 (100%) chance on the 3rd Leader. To be clear, identifying this issue to be fixed wouldn't even benefit me. I've earned my Leaders. I feel sorry for the poor saps coming along today who still have to deal with this years-old issue.
    3. Tier 4 Leader Feature: Fantastic idea! These are literally the best thing in the game. Ever.
    4. Tier 4 Leader Implementation: Terrible. The factor-of-a-factor upgrade path is a dead end. No one is going to buy 1024 leaders to make a Level 10.
    5. High Level Turret Weapon Feature: Fantastic idea!
    6. High Level Turret Weapon Implementation: Poor. The ONP prices are ridiculous and restrictive. I would love to see the metrics on base development vs. players abandoning the game. I have no doubt ONP prices are the biggest contributing factor. It's not fun to log in everyday and accomplish nothing.
    7. The Vault Feature: Okayish idea.
    8. The Vault Implementation: Utter flop. The stingy tiers of protection and insane resource requirements to upgrade make it worthless.
    9. eAH-1Z Feature: Poor. If the the maxed out Level 12 screenshot is accurate, I don't even know why time was invested in developing this unit.
    10. eAH-1Z Implementation: Poor. See above. The stats suck. I don't see any reason to research this unit other than to collect the achievements.
    11. Heavy Armor Mine Feature: Okayish idea. Unfortunately, their only existence is an unforeseen side-effect of the TOS fiasco.
    12. Heavy Armor Mine Implementation: Undecided. Mines in general are a waste of time since Devs refuse to address the issue with simultaneous repair. There's nothing exciting about the first 5 levels of heavy armor mines; the damage and splash is worse than regular armor mines; however, I'm reserving judgment until more levels are released.
    13. eRifle Feature: Fantastic idea! It took me awhile to realize their utility; however, they're awesome.
    14. eRifles Implementation: No complaints. Research times are appropriate for their power level.

NOTE: I'm withholding commentary on the eStryker and eKiowa. As far as I can tell, their only value is to collect achievements. Why? Because the Wikipedia which was supposed to be introduced three years ago never came to fruition. I don't have the faintest idea if it's worth 30 or 40 hours of my life to earn 1.65 million ONP to buy these units.

I'm sure management doesn't appreciate the value of a Wikipedia. A Wikipedia isn't exciting or sexy. I guarantee the upper-tier power gamers who are most likely to spend $600 per year OR MORE are very interested in unit stats and optimizing their player power.

Furthermore, disregarding the poor implementation of the above, even if every unit was badass and reasonably affordable, they're still susceptible to buggy unit pathing, getting stuck on map edges, terrible upgrade management, and units which walk across water.

The guts of the game are broken.

That being said, this question is for the entire Community, especially including GHØST himself:

If you could pick any 2 suggestions from GHØST's list to prioritize above everything else right now, what would they be and why?
    1. You know what *I* want most of all? Someone with a gaming background to pay attention to feedback from the player base.

Thunder Run reeks of some coder sitting in a cubicle at night eating pizza and designing stuff they think is cool with zero knowledge of actual, real-life implementation and benefit while simultaneously disregarding every bit of feedback ever collected from the community.

This thread is the second time a company representative was tasked with collecting player feedback. In addition to the forum threads, there were three surveys in a row a few years back soliciting player feedback. None of it has been implemented because management and / or the Devs are completly out-of-touch (or simply don't give a shit) with how to make a good / fun product.

Quote Originally Posted by bh-prince View Post
    ... Feel free to post anything that you think would make the game better and make sure to provide a detailed description ... I'm ... here to work with you guys on improving the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by bh-prince View Post
    ... most of the stuff on the said list is classified as cosmetic changes and is not a huge impact on playing the game.
    Quoting prince isn't intended as an attack on his perspective alone. I've heard a similar perspective from 3 different representatives. The preceding notwithstanding, this is the most inane thing I've heard in a development context in quite some time.

Fixing the way one interacts with the game is literally the definition of improving the game. There's a multi-billion dollar industry focused on UI/UX. The one and only purpose of good UI/UX design is to improve the user experience. That's what the "U" and "X" stand for.

What I can tell you guys is that many of the things on the list are already on our to-do list (some are on my own personal to-do list behind other things), some suggestions are being added to said to-do lists, some of the suggestions aren't possible within the game's current build due to technical limitations, and some suggestions are merely opinions that disagree with what 5 years of game data has told us.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHØST View Post
    Most importantly, create an issue tracker so the player base can be updated on what's going on with fixes and feature requests. This could be something as simple as a Google Sheet:

1. Issue Title
    2. Status
      • Recorded
      • Presented to committee
      • Under discussion
      • Approved or Declined (with supporting reasons)
    3. Under development
    4. In Alpha testing
    5. In Beta testing
    6. Proposed release date
    7. Fixed!

It's tiring trying to stay engaged and care about this game when the standard response is, "Thanks for your input, we'll present it to the team." .... and the standard outcome appears to be the issue has fallen into a black hole to be eaten by crickets.
    2. The second most important thing *I* want isn't even a direct fix to any particular issue. If these items are "on the list," be transparent about it. Tell us what the hell is going on. Granted, development isn't always fun. There will always be whiners who want moar free stuff. However, anyone with a modicum of experience and intelligence understands good game development, metrics, and cost-benefit analysis.

If something is actually, truly impossible to implement, document it as such. I'll be at the front of the line to shut up about it and drop the issue.

I recognize the wish list was limited to 2 items. I'm taking the liberty of adding a 3rd.

3. DO SOMETHING. ANYTHING. There's so much broken / useless junk anything would be an improvement. Removing the stupid avatars which block the home base layout isn't impossible due to "technical limitations" and it certainly doesn't take an entire quarter to fix.
    Last edited by GHØST; 06-01-2018 at 08:56 PM.

First off - Mr. Gh0st - excellent post.

lastly - Haven't spent a penny on this game in a couple of years now.. ever since they did away with the 75% gold (no limit) offers... use to spend $500 + a year on this game.. and I know I'm not the only one who has stopped spending ... they seem to have done everything possible to discourage it, so they don't want my money.. fine... ... I can remember a time where I was conferenced in on a phone call directly with some "developers" ... must of been the 1st year of the game... and after asking all the players I could - I gave them our list.. the results were about the same as we have now.... "improvements" on stuff that don't need "improved" ... "fixes" on things that aren't broken and total disregard about issues that have been brought up for years and years and years..... I'm mostly single player now.... got this big honky base that is next to worthless - and the fun is all gone because of the all the reasons we've been saying - for years and years and years.

Quote Originally Posted by GHØST View Post
    a lot of things
    I agree with almost everything. Especially some sort of transparency regarding what BH is working on. This might just get some players excited about something up and coming to the game.

Re: A missing Wiki - I don't know how many times a newer player asked a question, and I had to think about an answer, only to tell that player: "It's been 4 years since I was at the same point as you in the game, I simply don't remember."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast